google.com, pub-0409865497112903, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Finding something to celebrate, appreciate and be thankful for every...single... day !

Monday, February 23, 2015

St Patricks Day - Decorating



A Leprechaun has come through our house and doused it with a healthy dose of green!

This looks a lot like the Valentine's Day pictures with a photo filter to change the red to green, but I promise it's not.

In the past, whenever I would try to decorate for St Patrick's Day, I would have a very hard time getting things to match. 

The look would come out as a sort of "Fifty Shades of Green" -- which I can only assume is the story of Christian Green, a kinky leprechaun who grants wishes, but only if your wishes are to be spanked by a kinky leprechaun -- so a slightly different story.

Good luck getting that image out of your mind. 

But back to the decorating -- we wanted a very bright cheery St Patty's Day green, but that color can be a bit intense, so we've made the green an accent on a mainly white foundation. 

We've also got the pots of gold which bring in a nice dark contrasting black and some sparkling gold.

Lots of decorating items being re-used here! Mardi Gras beads and Christmas gold as well as Halloween cauldrons. 

The crown on these beads is reminiscent of the Irish Claddagh (if it had a heart under it) so it still works as a St Patrick's decoration.


The Battenburg lace has made another appearance, this time with a green tablecloth underneath so the green peeks out of the open-work in the lace.

(secret tip: the green underneath is from the dollar store! Usually those plastic tablecloths look and feel awful, but under the lace it works perfectly to add the color!)









Last year after St.Patty's Day we caught a 90% off sale and I picked up these awesome St Patty's necklaces with giant shamrocks and Irish charms. I LOVE after holiday sales!

I knew they would bring some festive bling-bling to each place setting. 

I also scored these gorgeous green glass candy dishes in the exact green I was looking for.

The gold charger plates are back again and feel reminiscent of giant gold coins. 

I mixed in some green plastic plates because they are the perfect color, and when stacked in the white china they are working almost like a second layer of charger plates. 

The only green cloth napkins I had were a deep hunter-type green, so the lovely napkins shown here are actually paper napkins!

The centerpiece is a very real cauldron that I found at Savers. It weighs a TON and was clearly used many times by it's previous owner. 

I imagined it being used by a witch to boil eye of newt for Halloween, and I knew I had to have it for for my Halloween decor. 

When I realized it could come out again filled with gold coins for St Patrick's Day too, I was sold!










The buffet is covered in lace with a green tablecloth underneath and you can see the green coming through very subtly. (green plastic tablecloth to the rescue again!)











The lace pattern is small flowers, not shamrocks, but it gives the impression of clover and swirls, and in my decorating fantasies it is shamrocks.

Big green bows with shamrock shaped leprechaun buckles were found at the dollar store and I love them!

That pretty much covers our St Patrick's Day decorating. 

Now it is on to plan some green baking projects!








Thank you for stopping by!! 

Here's wishing that you find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!






















No comments:

Post a Comment